General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Japanese aircraft carrying subs
Posted by: kurt ()
Date: October 03, 2001 03:46PM

<HTML>As we have discussed before on this site, the Japanese had a very different vision for the use of their subs than did the Germans.

They saw them as long range eyes and ears for the fleet in tracking the movement of major US fleet units, and for inflicting 'attritional' losses on the US fleet as it sailed out to the great decisive naval battle both the US and Japan saw as the culmination of conflict in the Pacific. Merchant warfare was an irrelevant sideshow in this view, because any war plan that was not quickly decisive against the US would lead to defeat.

As such Japanese boats were large, very, very long ranged, and fast on the surface. Many also had aircraft fitted for recon work - you can search a much vaster stretch of ocean with an airplane than you can with a high periscope lookout! Obviously the Japanese did not foresee an ASW environment dominated by long range aircraft - they thought airpower would be confined to short ranged airplanes near shore bases or aircraft carriers, so they felt there would be plenty of room in the ocean to surface for the extended periods necessary to launch and recover aircraft.

In war this turned out to be less than successful. Long ranged ASW aircraft made it dangerous to stay on the surface for aircraft operations, and the small number of small, slow airplanes carried (usually only one per boat) could do very little.

But Japanese boats did launch aerial reconn of a number of US harbors, including Pearl, during the war. They also dropped some small bombs (to no effect) on the Oregon forest, trying to start forest fires.

Towards the end of the war many plane carrying subs used their hangars for ferrying supplies.

At the end of the war, several giant (5,000+ ton) subs, the I-500 class, were built. These carried three dive bombers, and had enough range to go nonstop from Japan to the US east coast and back. Several missions, such as bombing the White House, were contemplated. An attack on the Panama canal locks was trained for but cancelled. In the end they saw no service, though they were commisioned and ready by war's end. I suppose they could have been used to spread bio weapons (the Japanese had weaponized anthrax by 1945) to the US mainland if the war had gone on.

The book you are referring to is "I-boat Captain". It is a good read.

The US missile attack you refer to was by the USS Barb against Japanese coastal factories on what is now Russian soil, but at the time was part of Japan. The Americans used standard 5" bombardment rockets ina jury rigged set-up to launch them from the deck of the surface boat. It is described in Gene Fluckey's autobiography, "Thunder Below", also a good read.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Submarine Aircraft carrier oliver 10/03/2001 09:14AM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier Hank 10/03/2001 12:10PM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier parade 10/03/2001 12:43PM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier oliver 10/03/2001 01:58PM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier Rainer Bruns 10/03/2001 03:24PM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier Jack 10/03/2001 02:31PM
Japanese aircraft carrying subs kurt 10/03/2001 03:46PM
Re: Japanese aircraft carrying subs oliver 10/03/2001 08:00PM
Re: Japanese aircraft carrying subs William Engel 10/05/2001 11:51AM
Re: Japanese aircraft carrying subs oliver 10/05/2001 01:28PM
That's I-400 class kurt 10/06/2001 02:27AM
Re: That's I-400 class oliver 10/06/2001 08:42AM
Re: That's I-400 class kurt 10/06/2001 12:35PM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier Steve Cooper 10/08/2001 07:22PM
Re: Submarine Aircraft carrier I Stapley 10/09/2001 01:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.