Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this?
Posted by: Mikko ()
Date: November 30, 2002 11:16PM

<HTML>Hello Cate.

I just checked the credits of Das Boot (the director's cut) and there are these lines:

"This story is based upon actual events. However, some of the characters and incidents portrayed and the names herein are fictitious, and any similiarity to the name, character, or history of any person, living or dead, or any actual event is entirely coincidental and unintentional."

There was obviously nothing like that when the Rasputin movie came out and the persons involved were a lot more famous at the time and the whole plot was much more defaming.

In my understanding the present day movie makers have to check that there aren't any people who could be directly connected to movie character and add a something along those lines above to protect themselves from a law suit. I think your right about that taking the story from the book instead of real life directly, I didn't think that through too well.

I watched through the breakdown scene with the commentary sound track on and it seems rather clear that they wanted to show that it was Johann, one of the most talented, experienced and normally levelheaded members of the crew who breaks down. "Ausgerechnet, Johann..." (Johann, of all people...) It does make a lot of sense, because if it had been some of the more easily scared members of the crew, the scene would've been far less effective. I think the incident, the way how the commander took care of it and how Johann pulled himself back together, is a great example of how giving a second chance to someone who's proven himself before can be a very good thing.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Mikko 11/26/2002 08:45PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Steve Roberts 11/27/2002 12:30PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Woody 11/27/2002 10:08PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Steve Roberts 11/28/2002 12:28PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Mikko 11/28/2002 10:18AM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? cate 11/28/2002 02:18PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Steve Roberts 11/29/2002 11:10AM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Mikko 11/29/2002 04:55PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? cate 11/29/2002 06:56PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Mikko 11/30/2002 11:16PM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? cate 12/02/2002 07:36AM
Re: Johann in Das Boot -- did you know this? Mikko 12/02/2002 12:48PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.