Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley
Posted by: Marc Cimon ()
Date: December 20, 2002 11:37PM

Hi again Jukka, when most of those engines were designed, power, size and weight were most important. The 4 strokes (MAN) had to have the lowest sfc has they did not have to drive scavenge blowers;
I sailed with Fairbanks Morse and the realy like the fuel!
Even today's, medium speed 2 strokes engines best selling point is not low fuel consumption.
Large 2 strokes are turbocharged, exhaust heat is recovered in exhaust boilers or thermal oil heaters, excess exhaust gas can drive a recovery power turbine feeding power back to the engine. Just about everything were tried to improve sfc; it is now a big part of the engine desing equation, along with low emissions. If you want to discuss this some more, drop me an e-mail as I am afraid to be a little "off content" Marc.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley Jukka Juutinen 12/13/2002 12:13PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley Marc Cimon 12/15/2002 03:12PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley ROBERT M. 12/15/2002 03:29PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley J.T. McDaniel 12/15/2002 06:12PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley Rainer Bruns 12/15/2002 10:18PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions Kaleut Nemo 12/16/2002 09:55PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions Rainer Bruns 12/17/2002 01:42AM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions Kaleut Nemo 12/17/2002 05:11PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley Jukka Juutinen 12/20/2002 01:31PM
Re: diesel fuel consumptions (attn Rainer cool smiley Marc Cimon 12/20/2002 11:37PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.