|Ordered||25 Aug 1941|
|Laid down||27 Oct 1942||Danziger Werft AG, Danzig (werk 133)|
|Launched||8 May 1943|
|Commissioned||25 Aug 1943||Oblt. Karl-Heinz Raabe|
|Successes||No ships sunk or damaged|
Given to Italy in exchange for transport submarines and renamed S 8. On 10 September 1943 taken over by the Kriegsmarine at Gotenhafen after the Italian surrender and commissioned as U-1161 on 27 September 1943.
Scuttled on 5 May 1945 in Kupfermühlen Bay near Flensburg. Wreck broken up.
Men lost from U-boats
Unlike many other U-boats, which during their service lost men due to accidents and various other causes, U-1161 did not suffer any casualties (we know of) until the time of her loss.