Iron Cross 2nd Class
Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse
The Iron Cross was established in 1813 in Breslau and given to soldiers in the wars against Napoleon. The Iron Cross was reauthorized in 1914 by Emperor Wilhelm II when the First World War started (see the WWI U-boat decoration).
Except for the actual award ceremony, the Iron Cross 2nd Class was usually worn in ribbon form only, through the second button-hole of the uniform jacket (see photo below).
The first award to the U-boat service in the Second World War was to the entire crew of U-29 by CinC Kriegsmarine order of 18 September 1939, following their sinking the 22,500 tons British aircraft carrier HMS Courageous the day before. The award was made on their return to port on 26th September.
Bar to the Iron Cross (Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz)
The Bar to the Iron Cross was used to indicate the award of the 1st or 2nd class Iron Cross to someone who won the same decoration in the First World War. The bar was worn clipped to the uniform jacket above the 1st class 1914 medal, or in the case of the 2nd class, on the ribbon.
Decorations ordered by last name
See this list sorted by date
570 U-boat Commanders decorated with Iron Cross 2nd Class (Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse) located.
+ Indicates the Officer died in the war.
* Commands held indicates the U-boat commands held by this officer before award date. In some cases the officer had not taken command his first boat yet or was not even in the U-boat force yet.
Note: This listing is still being compiled and some recipients might be missing.